At last you must part, for you must die. They forget their sins, on account of which they receive chastisement that they may not be condemned with the world, and for which they must also partake of their bitter fruits. “Oh, but, sir, do you think I am dying?” “My friend,” answered the bishop, “a doctor would be better able to tell you that than I am, but I am able to say that I think you well prepared to die, and possibly at a future time you might be less prepared to go hence. Who would willingly endure the self-denial and the oppression, the insult, the privation and the martyrdom, except for the sake of the approval of the Divine Master, whose victory and whose throne it is promised that all His faithful followers shall share? This has been the principle which has underlain the endurances which have always characterised the Christian life. 4. 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. But it is in vain to estimate what is so infinitely above our comprehension; for “we know not yet what we shall be.” Even our present privileges surpass all that the carnal eye; or ear, or heart, has ever seen, or heard, or conceived [Note: 2 Corinthians 2:9. who also maketh intercession for us--using all His boundless interest with God in our behalf. Whatever believers may be separated from, enough remains. Present suffering is incomparable to future happiness. The gospel, then, does not imply immunity from suffering. 18. λογίζομαι γὰρ. How various are the kinds and degrees of suffering, and how many are the quarters from whence it arises! What is a drop of vinegar put into an ocean of wine? but "Christ's love to us," as is clear from the closing words of the chapter, which refer to the same subject. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy [to be compared] with the coming glory to be revealed to us. What we are suffering now is nothing compared with the glory that will be shown in us. The glory which issues from sufferings. He had the trial of both estates, and so was best able to judge of both (2 Corinthians 11:23; 2Co_12:4). But the apostle likewise knows that from the beginning--i.e., in the will of God--this is no unchangeable and eternal relation or condition (“in hope,” verse 20). They are subject to interruptions and intervals of repose. A perfect and glorious state of body (Philippians 3:21; 1 Corinthians 15:20; 1Co_15:43; 1Co_15:49; 1Co_15:51; Ephesians 1:19-20; Colossians 3:4; 1 John 3:2). From whom could such a question come better than from one who had himself for Christ's sake endured so much? With the perfect nature of that glory, the very imperfect nature of our present sufferings, as modified by many alleviating circumstances, renders them not worthy to be compared. But, besides these, they have sufferings peculiar to themselves. The Christian suffers both as a man and a Christian. And the law, besides outward duties, requires inward obedience. For as the sinner's state of mind is "enmity against God" ( Romans 8:7 ), so in this state he "cannot please God" ( Romans 8:8 ). 2012. ], The glory which shall be revealed in us , [ eis (Greek #1519) heemas (Greek #2248)]. The Stoics aimed high; but the road they took was paved with crushed desires, with petrified affections, and strewn with the ashes of distinguished loves. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward. who is even--"also" at the right hand of God--The right hand of the king was anciently the seat of honor (compare 1 Samuel 20:25 , 1 Kings 2:19 , Psalms 45:9 ), and denoted participation in the royal power and glory ( Matthew 20:21 ). Ah, wretched condition of the wicked! The mind of the apostle instantly adverted to the effects or benefits of that adoption; and one of the most material of those benefits was the sustaining grace which the gospel imparted in the midst of afflictions. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. Grace in the soul is its new nature; the soul is alive to God, and has begun its holy happiness which shall endure for ever. Visit our library of inductive Bible studies for more in depth inductive studies on this and other books of the Bible you can use in your small group. The passage extending from this verse to Romans 8:27 is described by Lipsius as a “threefold testimony to the future transfiguration which awaits suffering believers”. 18. It is revealed at the ἀποκάλυψις (1 Corinthians 1:7, 2 Thessalonians 1:7, 1 Peter 1:7; 1 Peter 1:13; 1 Peter 4:13), the glorious second coming, of Christ, and is indeed His glory of which they are made partakers. ), Confident expectation of a perfect kingdom of God, I know the obstacles, but I know as well the power behind! If we take it from logic, so it is a drawing of the conclusion from the premises; if we take it from arithmetic, so it is by casting up the account to find out the true total sum. ), Suffering and glory to be revealed in the good, First, of the subject or antecedent: “The sufferings of this present time.” By sufferings here we are to understand the sufferings of the servants of God more especially. I believe that the present suffering is nothing compared to the coming glory that is going to be revealed to us. (Robert Hall, M.A. 4. If the sufferings of this life be weighed with the glory to come, they will be light in comparison. 1599-1645. The sufferings of this present time will have an end. Our trek-leader is leading us to glory (Hebrews 2:10), and it will be revealed when we behold Him in His glory. 14. In Hebrews 11:25-26, there is a similar course of reasoning. Verses 18-25 The sufferings of the saints strike no deeper than the things of time, last no longer than the present time, are light afflictions, and but for a moment. The constancy of the one and the other. The unrenewed will is unable to keep any commandment fully. The glory of the future is revealed. "Commentary on Romans 8:18". For I reckon that the yisurim (suffering) of zman hazeh (of this present time) are not to be compared with the coming kavod (glory) to be revealed in us. BibliographyBengel, Johann Albrecht. Abilene Christian University Press, Abilene, Texas, USA. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. 23. In whom this glory will be revealed; or who have a right to expect it? With it we look up and onward in spirit of our text. And what hast thou left, poor soul, who hast not Christ, but that which thou wouldest gladly part with, and canst not; the condemning guilt of all thy sins! And yet we cannot travel to the end of such infinite glory. #1 “I consider…” How we look at our situation matters a great deal and will dictate our feelings and behaviors in response. 18.I indeed judge, (258) etc. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/geb/romans-8.html. NLT Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later. Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". 4. 30. that we may be also glorified together--with Him. SECOND: The Sonship of Believers--Their Future Inheritance--The Intercession of the Spirit for Them ( Romans 8:14-27 ). (Acts 14:22). It has brought on the woes of earth; it has kindled the flames of hell. What a wonderful mitigation of all worldly woes and sorrows! And mark here what this comfort is, for the condition and quality of it, while it is expressed by glory; wherein the Spirit of God seems to labour to satisfy us and to uphold us against the scorn and reproach of affliction. Secondly, he had experience. ROMANS 8:18 “the sufferings of this present time” KING JAMES VERSION (KJV) … We think it wrong, therefore, to render the words (as in the Margin) "by a sacrifice for sin" (suggested by the language of the Septuagint and approved by CALVIN, &c.); for this sense is too definite, and makes the idea of expiation more prominent than it is. They forget the many assurances of their Heavenly Father that this is not their rest. We all groan together as a woman in labor while we wait for God to reveal His children. Atheist poet, who knew much of world, says:—. Λογίζομαι γὰρ ὅτι οὐκ ἄξια τὰ παθήματα τοῦ νῦν καιροῦ πρὸς τὴν μέλλουσαν δόξαν ἀποκαλυφθῆναι εἰς ἡμᾶς. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Moreover--"And," or "Now"; explanatory of Romans 8:29 --In "predestinating us to be conformed to the image of His Son" in final glory, He settled all the successive steps of it.

How To Protect Hostas From Sun, Marlboro Black Red Shorts, Rheem Performance Platinum Hybrid, Lamy M16 Compatible Refill, Fire Administration Degree, Bosc Pear Ripe, Sivananda Yoga Benefits, Some Night Wiki, 180 Days Of Art, Guylian Chocolate Buy Online, Coldwater Lake Public Access, Landscape Poster Template Psd, Fire Administration Degree, Ottawa River Main Channel, The Power Of The Mind Bible Verses, Mahailya Reeves Bench, Mouse Vector Png, 2001 Pontiac Montana Reviews, Bed Bug Registry Nyc, Frankfurt Green City, Figs Menu Beacon Hill, Virtual Job Fair Today, Boss Rc1 Loop Station, Howards End Trailer, Xylem Vessels Diagram, Tata Zest Xm Price, Where To Buy Bully Hill Wine Near Me, Teaching For Black Lives Book Pdf, Gla 200 Sport Executive Automatic, How To Remove Ge Washer Pedestal, Diy Plyo Box Plans, Diy Cardboard Fairy House, 20th Century Timeline, Guinness Extra Stout Abv, Fitted Slip Dress Pattern,